Friday, August 29, 2008

Sutra of Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha's Fundamental Vows

I read the Sutra of Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha's Fundamental Vows again yesterday.
It's an english translated version of the 地藏王菩萨经.
Those interested can go to this link:
Sutra of Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha's Fundamental Vows

The reason why I will go read up on these sutras and books is simple,
1. They are the only books that will bring me peace, let me think of nothing when I read them.
2. They are actually stories of the buddha, not as boring and not something I don't understand.
3. I love myths and legends.
4. I am curious about how all these stuffs come about.

Yesterday I was reading a part talking about demons.
It seems to answer one of my curiousity last time.
Remember shows always show that demons are very scared of those amulets on the doors, scared of tailsman etc?
While reading the sutra, a part of it was talking about this.
Apparently, these so call "demons", other then giving out punishments to evil doers, they also help out the good ppl.
If they see tailsmen or amulets on the doors of the house, they will tend to leave the house alone, or even protect them, because that family is doing
good(Remembering buddha, god) and that little amount of effort of praying and remembering god is enough to keep the demons away.


Anyway, other than this, I also thought of something else, that is about vegetarians.
I used to think, these people are weird, why they so picky etc.
However, for 49 days, since my dad pass away, we are required/asked to eat vegetarian for him.
Purpose is to add fu for him. Accumulate good karmas for him.
Is it only till this time that it suddenly dawned to me.
Can you imagine, if the world is not as advanced now...
if we are required to find our own food and cook them and eat them, how many of you will be able to or bear to kill/slaughter an animal by urself to cook them and to eat them?
Of course I dun deny that vegetables are from plants and plants have life too, but I guess the sins are not greater than that of animals?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!